Saturday, July 23, 2011

Decked Out


Our deck is a nice deck....with a nice view. However, we just haven't been taking advantage of it like we should be....especially this time of year when the weather is beyond perfect. And don't you Mainers even begin to tell me that 92 degrees with a cool breeze is hot. Sorry, I'm from TX, this is not hot. No, it's not. Don't argue with me, I know what I'm talkin' about  here. Now that we've got that settled, I am absolutely tickled pink, purple, and tan-with-dark-brown-accents over my new deck makeover. Tickled!! : D

It all started last Sunday when the children hauled off the metal table and chair set to have a picnic under the birch trees. And that is, by the way, the perfect-o spot for that set. That, however, left a wide open  empty space on the deck that was just begging for something....something comfy and elegant and refined....and relaxing....and resort-mood-invoking. Something that says, "Just sit right down here, take a load off, and enjoy this view....now!" 


Unfortunately, I don't happen to have that kind of a resort-decor budget, generally speaking. So, generally speaking, I try to piece together what I've already got...or happen to grab from a yard sale....or just do without (until I can grab it at a yard sale...heh heh). 

Monday, we went to Wally World and I meandered out to the garden section to see if any flowers might help my dilemma. I didn't find flowers (except one hanging basket) but I did find lots of herbs and veggie plants marked 50% off. Big score. As you might be guessing, those weren't the only things marked 50% off either


 As we strolled back thru the patio furniture area, I spied this set marked ridiculously low....and couldn't believe my eyes. At first I thought it was just for the one table. But then I was shockingly informed that no, it was for the whole entire kit-n-kaboodle set....along with all those comfy all-weather cushions....and even the accent pillows. No. Way. And on top of that, it was all assembled and we could load it up in the truck, scoot home, and eat our tacos that evening sitting on those very chairs.... in all of about 2 minutes (the time it takes us to unload those babies outta the back of that truck). Be still my heart!


But I'm not even done yet. I know I'm being obnoxiously long-winded on this....but what are blogs for anyway?? And when it comes to decorating re-do's, I'm never at a loss for words. This area on this end of the deck is just begging for one of those scrolled metal firepit stands. I'll wait on that till the weather cools off a bit. I readily confess that it is way too warm for fires at the moment....only at the moment, tho.; )


And this end of the deck is just begging for one of those outdoor 4x6 all-weather rugs....perhaps with some sort of scroll motif on it. And a couple of citronella candles. I also needed some more planters...like big  ones. But I didn't want to pay $15 or $25 on big plastic planters. As I was cruising the clearance aisle, I noticed some large plastic round hampers that had a basket weave design to them way up high on the tip top shelf. I  drug them down, scanned 'em and they came up at $2.50. Score again!  I'll definitely keep you up-to-the-minute on any new deck designs and features.

Now before you think I've gone completely budget-busting bonkers, take a look at that grill there. Can you believe my husband just got that at the dump for nothing? Yep, the guy had just bought a brand new grill and was about to leave this one at the dump....with the butane tank attached. Works great....just fired it up and hamburgers were ready in a jiffy. So Wally World rocks. I detest Wal-Mart for over 100,000 reasons, but this week, it did indeed rock in my book. Addendum:   If you ever, ever catch me saying, "Wally World rocks" again, please slap me. : D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin